I believe that we should help the people around us, because we choose to. I believe that we should be able to choose who we help and when. My goal over the past few months is to improve the life of at least one person that I come into contact with each day with some sort of random act of kindness. Whether or not they choose to continue the chain by paying it forward is completely up to them.
What are some examples of this type of kindness? Here are a few of my favorites as examples:
- Giving away good, healthy food to people that you know can really use it. Food is the #1 thing that people who are struggling financially skimp on. Hunger and malnutrition in the US are real my friends, especially with the economy and jobs like they are right now. Someone can work a full time job and still struggle to put decent, nutritious meals on their dining table.
- When someone doesn't have enough cash to pay for their items, pick up the tab for the difference. It is just a dollar or two and can make the difference between someone eating... or not.
- When you notice an obviously poor or homeless person repeating a behavior, like checking cigarette butt containers for smokables, put an unopened pack of cigarettes in the container for them to find. Before anyone starts in on me about how bad smoking is, I already know this and I'm sure he does too but it will not change his behavior and new, clean cigarettes are obviously better than smoking the remnants of something that has already been in someone's mouth. Um, gross!?!
- Teaching people how to cook, how to can and how to coupon healthy...for free. The only thing involved there is time and time, in essence, is free.
- Walk up to a perfect stranger that you feel in your heart needs a boost for the day, and hand them a gift card. In today's world, the $10.00 Speedway or BP gas station gift card can make a hell of a difference in someone's day. Especially if they are obviously struggling.
Those results can be beautiful.
Do it. Do it because you can. Do it because it is the right thing to do. Do it because someone needs you to even though neither one of you may know it yet. Do it because it will make YOU feel good in the end. My heart has never felt lighter than it does today.
One person can't change the world, but you can change or inspire someone to do something wonderful today.
Smile at someone... for absolutely no reason and remember that every single one of you are loved.
Happy Tuesday my friends.